Surry County Quick Facts
Surry County is on the edge of one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas of the East Coast which offers citizens access to urban amenities and cultural attractions.
The Surry County/Mount Airy airport has a runway length of 4,305 feet. It is in the process of being lengthened to 5,500 feet.
Surry County is approximately 300 miles from four ports on the east coast; Norfolk, VA, Morehead City, NC, Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC.
In Surry County you have about an hour’s drive time to the Piedmont Triad International Airport and one hour and 30 minutes from the Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
Surry County is 538 square miles that include four rivers, the Mitchell, Ararat, Fisher, and Yadkin Rivers.
Surry County has two hospitals that provide regional health care. Northern Hospital of Surry County in Mount Airy and Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital in Elkin.
Surry County News
Recent state results on the achievements of students in the Career and Technical Education courses show Elkin City Schools in the top five school systems in five of the eight indicators measured. At Monday’s school board meeting, Barbara Long, CTE coordinator for the...read more
Surry County Video
Surry County Demographics
- Population, 2015 73 195%
- Unemployment Rate, January 2017 5.2%
- Labor Force, January 2017 32 086%
- Number Unemployed, January 2017 1,768%
- Average Weekly Wage, 3rd Q 2016 $652.00%
- 2016-17 Surry County Property Tax Rate (per $100) $0.582%
- County Building Permits Issued, 2016 $29,333,459%
- Gross Retail Sales April 2016 $73,644,149%
- Median Household Income, 2015 $37,337%
- Per Capita Income, 2015 $20,330%
- Crime Rate, 2014 (per 100,000) persons 174.3%
- Tourism Expenditures, 2015 $116.62 million%
- 2015 Tier Designation 2%
- Land Area sq mi 532 %
- Persons Per Square Mile, 2014 persons 138.4%
- 2014 Median Age 41.2%
Surry County Economic Development Partnership Inc. 1218 State St., Mt. Airy NC 27030
PO BOX 7128