Talent attraction and retention have been the hottest topics in economic development for several years. Since the COVID 19 pandemic, the labor force has changed dramatically. More people have retired or just quit work. Others have changed jobs or moved. There are more jobs available in the US than there are people to take them, and that is becoming more true for our community. If you have an interest in making our community a place where we can keep the people we have and attract new ones, read this report. Surry County is very fortunate to be a great place to live, but we need to always work to improve and make ourselves a welcoming and attractive place to others.
Surry County was honored to welcome a visit from the Royal Thai Embassy with Ambassador Tanee Sangrat - whose country has a unique connection to our community. Chang and Eng Bunker were born in 1811 in Siam, now known as Thailand. These twins were conjoined (born with...
- Population, 2020 71,359% 71,359%
- Unemployment Rate, May 2022 3.5% 3.5%
- Labor Force, May 2022 32,057% 32,057%
- Number Unemployed, May 2022 persons 1,116% persons 1,116%
- Average Weekly Wage, 4th Q 2021 $ 818 % $ 818 %
- 2021-2022 Surry County Property Tax Rate (per $100) $0.552% $0.552%
- County Building Permits Issued, 2021 $121,573,528% $121,573,528%
- Gross Retail Sales, May 2022 $1,283,374,367 % $1,283,374,367 %
- Median Household Income, 2020 $ 44,979% $ 44,979%
- Per Capita Income, 2020 $26,074% $26,074%
- Crime Rate, 2018 (per 100,000) persons 89% persons 89%
- Tourism Expenditures, 2020 $1,136,990,000 % $1,136,990,000 %
- 2022 Tier Designation 2% 2%
- Land Area sq mi 532 % sq mi 532 %
- Persons Per Square Mile, 2020 persons 134.0% persons 134.0%
- 2020 Median Age 44% 44%
Surry County Economic Development Partnership Inc. 1218 State St., Mt. Airy NC 27030
PO BOX 7128
Press Release - Surry County EDP Hires new Industry Initiatives Director The Surry County Economic Development Partnership is excited to announce the hiring of our new Industry Initiatives Director – Catrina Alexander! Catrina will be joining the EDP on July 24th,...
The Surry County Economic Development Partnership is directed with being a catalyst for business innovation, growth, and development, resulting in an improved standard of living and quality of life for our residents. The EDP has been doing this work in Surry County...